The Sedus Stoll Group, a leading European office furniture manufacturer and supplier of workplace concepts, closed the 2014 fiscal year with a very good result. Due to the general economic environment, it was possible to overcome the downward trend of the European office furniture market that had lasted for more than two years. The figures for new orders differed from those for turnover. Whereas new orders increased by a total of 6.1 per cent, turnover remained around the level of the previous year (minus 0.2 per cent).
The reasons for this were a comparatively low level of orders in hand at the end of 2013 and a substantial increase in new orders at the end of 2014.
In spite of the stagnating turnover, the Sedus Stoll Group was able to achieve a profit of 6.1 million euros for the year (previous year: 0.9 million euros).
The 2015 fiscal year began very well with a 12.6 per cent increase in new orders in the first quarter.
“Sedus offers its customers clear advantages with intelligent solutions for the knowledge workers of today and tomorrow. Decision-makers, planners and end users are increasingly realising that well designed workplaces and zones of communication are an important factor for the successful recruitment of new talent”, explained Holger Jahnke, member of the management board responsible for marketing and sales. Sedus is therefore seeing itself more and more as a partner for intelligent office space concepts.
“Even though European markets are being impacted by currency
exchange fluctuations and economic uncertainty, we are optimistic about the future and, for 2015, are expecting further growth in the upper single-figure area”, said Carl-Heinz Osten, member of the management board responsible for finance, when describing the economic prospects for the current fiscal year.
The divisions of the company in 2014 in detail
Sedus Seating (office seating, communication furniture and object furniture) recorded total turnover of 88.1 million euros, which was around the same as the preceding year. Turnover in Germany fell by 2.8 per cent and, abroad, rose by 4.0 per cent. Total new orders increased by 3.2 per cent to 86.7 million euros, whereby Germany’s share rose slightly by 0.4 per cent and, abroad, growth of 7.5 per cent was achieved. The turnover of Sedus Systems, the office furniture division, fell by 3.2 per cent to 47.7 million euros. While there was a considerable rise of 7.6 per cent in Germany, foreign turnover increased by 5.9 per cent. New orders increased by 13.1 per cent in total, whereby Germany accounted for 8.6 per cent growth and foreign business showed a rise of 21.7 per cent.
Klöber (supplier of office seating furniture) saw an upswing in new business. With a 2.9 per cent increase in new orders, the net turnover rose by 6.1 per cent to 22.1 million euros and domestic turnover improved with a rise of 6.8 per cent. Foreign turnover grew by 4.6 per cent. A smaller increase of 2.9 per cent in new orders was recorded, whereby the domestic growth at 4.1 per cent exceeded the 0.4 per cent rise in new foreign business.
Launch of new products in 2015
The year 2015 is being strongly influenced by the launch of numerous new products, which were presented for the first time in autumn 2014 during the Orgatec trade fair. Some of them have already received awards such as the iF Design Award (allright, get together, turn around, the wardrobe element butler from the sedus to go collection) and the Interior Design Award (on spot, get together and secretair).
Leading themes in 2015: Health at work, prevention and Made in Germany
The leading themes that dominated the previous year such as cross-generational working, free choice of workplace and “productive well-being” will continue to be focussed on from the perspective of prevention. For Sedus, promoting health at work has always been very important and, in the future, will be given additional emphasis by means of the sedus ergo+ label. Sedus intends to use this independent brand to enter the health market offensively.
The commitment to Germany as a production location and the values associated with “Made in Gemany” continue to be important components of the image we want to communicate.